Real Estate Titan Larry A. Silverstein, William C. Rudin, Scott Rechler, MaryAnne Gilmartin, Jeff T. Blau, Marty Burger, Jonathan F.P. Rose, Alicia Glen, Among Others, to Discuss “The New Normal” and Implications of Higher Interest Rates and the Restrictive Investment Environment
November 6, 2023
NYU SPS Schack Institute of Real Estate to Host Its 56th Annual Conference on Capital Markets in Real Estate on November 30
NEW YORK, November 6, 2023 – On Thursday, November 30, the NYU School of Professional Studies (NYU SPS) will host the 56th Annual Conference on Capital Markets in Real Estate at the New York Hilton Midtown. This year’s conference will focus on “The New Normal? Implications of Higher Interest Rates and the Restrictive Investment Environment.”
Among the exciting changes to the agenda this year, the Conference will include a special address by Larry Silverstein, a panel on Affordability and Sustainability, and a one-on-one discussion with Kathleen McCarthy, global co-head of Blackstone Real Estate. In addition, five additional thought-provoking panels will cover various topics in real estate, capital markets, and how current conditions are transforming real estate.
“For this year’s event, we gathered leaders at the forefront of the industry who are dealing with the most complex, real-world issues in today’s ever-evolving economic landscape to share their perspectives and insights,” said Marc Norman, Larry & Klara Silverstein Chair in Real Estate Development and Investment, and associate dean of the NYU SPS Schack Institute of Real Estate. “Since its inception, our annual Conference on Capital Markets in Real Estate has been – and continues to be – the foremost thought-leadership forum helping dissect and navigate the latest industry shifts and trends and equip leaders and professionals, as well as our students, with the insights they need to thrive in this sector.”
Register for the 56th Annual Conference on Capital Markets in Real Estate and view the latest Conference agenda. If you are a member of the media who would like to report on the event, please contact Michael DeMeo at email@example.com.
- Marc Norman, Larry & Klara Silverstein Chair and Associate Dean, NYU SPS Schack Institute of Real Estate
- James D. Kuhn, President, Newmark, and NYU Schack Advisory Board Chair
Panel #1: Global Finance and Capital Markets
- Dino Paparelli, Global Head of Commercial Real, Deutsche Bank (Moderator)
- Andrea Balkan, Managing Partner, Brookfield
- Jeffrey F. DiModica, CFA, President, Starwood Property Trust
- Jesse Hom, Managing Director and Global Head of Real Estate Credit and Capital Markets, GIC
- Tim Johnson, Global Head of BREDS, Blackstone
- Miriam Wheeler, Partner and Managing Director, Head of the Global Real Estate Financing Group, Goldman Sachs & Co.
Panel #2: Global Equity Investment Panel
- Marcella Fasulo, Executive Vice Chairman, Newmark (Moderator)
- Nick Azrack, Partner and Global Head of Asset Management, The Baupost Group
- Ankit Bhatt, Managing Director, Oxford Properties
- Ward Fitzgerald, Global CEO, EQT Exeter
- Lauren Hochfelder, Managing Director, Morgan Stanley, and Co-Chief Executive Officer and Head of the Americas, Morgan Stanley Real Estate Investing
- Sara B. Queen, Head of Real Estate Equity and Managing Director, MetLife Investment Management
Panel #3: Affordable Housing and Meeting The Needs of Sustainable Communities
- Todd A. Gomez, Market Executive – North Region, Community Development Banking, Bank of America (Moderator)
- Alice Carr, Chief Executive Officer, April Housing
- Alicia Glen, Founder and Managing Principal, MSquared
- Jonathan F.P. Rose, President, Jonathan Rose Companies
- Nadir Settles, Global Head of Impact Investing, Nuveen Real Estate
Industry Perspective: “We Are Still The Golden Apple”
- Larry A. Silverstein, Founder and Chair, Silverstein Properties
24th Annual Golden Apple Panel
- Robert S. Blumenthal ’80, Global Vice Chairman of Corporate Finance and Managing Director, Investment Banking Americas – Real Estate, Gaming, Lodging & Leisure, Deutsche Bank Securities (Moderator)
- Jeff T. Blau, Chief Executive Officer, Related Companies
- Marty Burger, Former Chief Executive Officer, Silverstein Properties
- MaryAnne Gilmartin, Founder and Chief Executive Officer, MAG Partners
- Scott Rechler ’90, Chief Executive Officer and Chairman, RXR
- William C. Rudin, Co-Chairman & Chief Executive Officer, Rudin
One-on-One Fireside Chat/Keynote
- Marc Norman, Larry & Klara Silverstein Chair and Associate Dean, NYU SPS Schack Institute of Real Estate (Moderator)
- Kathleen McCarthy, Global Co-Head, Blackstone Real Estate
Commercial Real Estate Finance Council (CREFC) Panel
- Lisa Pendergast, Executive Director, Commercial Real Estate Finance Council (Moderator)
- Chris Albano, Managing Director, Citibank
- Jack Gay, Senior Managing Director, Global Head of Commercial Debt, Nuveen
- Kunal Singh, Managing Director, JPMorgan
- Harris Trifon, Partner and Portfolio Manager, Lord Abbett & Co.
About the NYU SPS Schack Institute of Real Estate
The NYU SPS Schack Institute of Real Estate was founded in 1967 at the initiative of prominent New York City real estate community members, who encouraged NYU to establish an academic center that would provide a world-class education for industry professionals. More than 50 years later, the Schack Institute is at the forefront of real estate education, recognized globally as one of the world’s leading centers of real estate research and practical, real-world learning experiences.
Across the Institute’s graduate degree programs—notably the MS in Real Estate, the MS in Construction Management, and the MS in Real Estate Development—as well as a rapidly expanding undergraduate degree program, enrollment has grown to more than 1,000 full- and part-time students from across the United States and nearly 50 countries. In addition to its flagship degree programs, thousands of working professionals enroll each year in the Schack Institute’s executive education, diploma, and career advancement programs.
An anchor of real estate academia’s engagement with industry, the Institute is home to the REIT Center, the Center for the Sustainable Built Environment, and the newly established Urban Lab. In addition, the Institute hosts national industry events, including annual conferences on real estate capital markets and the REIT sector. Under the direction of Schack’s industry-experienced faculty, ongoing applied research at the Institute spans an exceptional range of issues in real estate development and investment, urban economics, and market structure and regulation.
About the NYU School of Professional Studies
Established in 1934, NYU SPS is an internationally recognized university that offers diverse students access and opportunity to practical, real-world preparation to thrive in their careers while building the next generation of industry leaders ready to embrace tomorrow’s innovations and challenges and lead change in global workplaces.
The NYU SPS global community is made up of industry professionals, doers, and trailblazers shaping the future of industries, positioning the School as an idea incubator center for various fields, including real estate, hospitality, global affairs, sports business, integrated marketing, HR, professional writing and more.
Today, NYU SPS offers one of the most diverse portfolios of educational offerings at NYU, including graduate degrees, bachelor’s degrees for traditional and degree completion students, associate degrees, continuing education courses, and certificate programs.
NYU SPS is the host of some of the largest and most in-demand industry conferences in the world, including the Schack Institute of Real Estate’s Capital Markets Conference, REIT Symposium, and National Symposium of Women in Real Estate; the Jonathan M. Tisch Center’s International Hospitality Industry Investment Conference, Annual NYU Tax Conferences, and the NYU Coaching and Technology Summit, the School’s invaluable connections to industry leaders is a distinguishing factor in the education that it provides.
PR OFFICE CONTACTS